Thursday, July 3, 2008

Sleep Deprivation

It has been 1 year (day after tomorrow) that I have been a mother. I feel that the sleep deprivation is really affecting me. I can't think, focus, or remember anything. I eat sugar and carbs all the time. I go to the store and forget what I went there for. Sometimes I return my dishes to the bathroom instead of the kitchen. But the worst part of it is my patience is diminished. And that is what I am concerned about. My husband and I are currently working on a plan to get our son to sleep more through the night, but a recent stomach flu and seemingly never ending teething foils our plan everytime. The thing about a plan is you have to be consistent everytime. Perhaps our time has not yet come.

Having been sleep deprived for so long (I get several short naps per night) I have more compassion for parents than I ever had. I understand why parents get short with their children. I understand why moms get amnesia. I understand why they take their kid to the grocery store with stuff all over their face. It's hard.

I didn't have post partum depression. (I had hormonal crying spells for about a week). But I understand it. I am basically a happy person. I just have the grumpies all the time now. My poor husband. I know he needs his guy buddies around him right now. Putting up with demanding child and wife can be exhausting for him too.

And then there's the aspect of marriage that it's the upside down kingdom. It doesn't operate like the world does, or even the world's interpretation of marriage. It is about serving someone other than yourself. This is extremely hard when you don't even get a basic physical need met.

I wonder if that is what the preacher meant when he said "In sickness and in health".....
Hmmmm.

No comments: