Thursday, July 24, 2008

I'm Having An Affair

Got your attention? Good! Because I know how the flesh operates. It starts out as curiosity, then intrigue, then gravitation, then obsession, then posession. That is the way the flesh operates. And the scriptures state that the flesh is at war with God's Spirit.

But I am AM having an affair.

BY the way, it sounds like such a nice and quaint phrase, doesn't it? An Affair. A fling. Such niceties for such an atrocity. Extramarital affairs are not nice things. They are smart bombs. They destroy. Completely. The person having the affair is not the only one and definitely not the most negatively affected. Adultery harms everyone, the children, the cuckholded spouse, the cheating spouse, and yes, even the "other" man or woman. Adulteries do not usually start out as that. They start out emotionally. They start out with one conversation. One inviting glance, one meeting. They seemingly meet some kind of emotional or physical need. But they end in destruction. Of a person. Of a family. Of a nation. How insidious is that? And yet tv programs are filled with it. It is touted in Hollywood, as a way of life, it no longer is even considered an alternative lifestyle. It's a part of life. And Hollywood so influences the world that it can start and set trends at the drop of a word. Or the flash of an image. 30 years after the sexual revolution, adultery is not even shunned or raised a brow at. It is expected as everyday life.

Now that I have gotten you to read thus far... I will tell you that I am deciding not to follow those trends, cultural or otherwise. But I am passionate about my affair. Because I relish the time I spend with my beloved(s), however radical you think it might be for me to say that.

I am having an affair with my husband. With my son. I cannot wait until the door opens at the end of the day and my beloved walks through the door and my son smiles widely, arms flailing in excitement that Daddy is home. I look forward to our conversations, even the little ones, the time we spend together every evening. When we discuss things of our faith together. Even the challenges do not seem to be too much of an imposition. I am enjoying my affair. I enjoy seeing the look on my son's face when he goes down the slide for the first time, or holds wood chips in his hand. I enjoy our outings together as a family, even if it is just to the grocery store. And the grin on my son's face when he sees Mommy and Daddy give eachother a good night kiss is priceless. Because I know for him to see his married parents show affection toward eachother brings him peace and security.

My affair may be radical by today's standards. Some people, even faithful married people may have cringed when they read this entery. Thinking it somehow tasteless or creepy. I do not care. We are living in a time when the Bible predicted that good will be called evil and evil good.

If more people would treat their spouses with as much attention, passion, care, and sacrifice, as Hollywood treats its adulterous lovers, we might wake up one morning to a different culture.

No comments: