Monday, July 7, 2008

Benjamin's first birthday and 1st vacation

Our son Benjamin turned 1 on Saturday. We threw a big barbeque party and many loved ones and friends came. It went well considering I was freaking about the details and all the last-minutes stuff that had to be done. My mother rescued me. I don't think anyone noticed I was stressed. But we had fun. The kids did the slip n slide and baby pool in the backyard. It was hot. And the adults watched us open presents and watched Benji attempt to eat cake! He hated it and cried and looked at us like "Why are you doing this to me?" We did it more for the guests than anyone. I just reconciled that it is a man-pleasing thing. Who cares if he doesn't like cake. I am glad my son probably won't be a sugar addict like me and his papa. I had wanted to play Pictionary with the adults, but there was not enough time. My folks stayed around until evening and we visited and laughed, and that was my favorite part. And I am so honored that many dear friends came from a long ways away to join us. That made me feel good.

We left for Benjamin's first vacation the next day. Pleasanton fair (very hot! I colored corn pictures in the exhibit building to be able to sit in the ac a few minutes!) then to Berkeley. Breakfast at our favorite Saul's today then on to Muir Woods. The baby seemed to like the tall trees. Tomorrow we do San Francisco zoo with his uncle then on to Santa Cruz.

I hope he likes and remembers his first vacation. I have hope because a friend of ours says he remembers Japanese tea gardens when he was Ben's age.

Oh! And my FAVORITE part so far.....a grreat night's sleep!! Praise God.

No comments: