Thursday, November 13, 2008

Lucy Moments

In my family, when something outrageous or funny happens, we call it a "Lucy Moment"- in refernce to all the zany things that happened to Lucille Ball on her show. Most of the time, they happen to my mother. But I AM her daughter, and the older I get, I find the MORE Lucy moments I have!!

This one grosses my husband out: last week, my son was having trouble breathing, so I got the aspirator out to suction his nose. Now, in my defense, when he was a preemie in the NICU, the nurse there showed me how to use it and in order to get rid of any substance that may have come out, she "flicked" it toward the floor. This was part of my training. Well, preemies must have smaller "substances" than 1 year olds...because once I suctioned his nose and "flicked" it away from me, his substance, which was about an inch and half long, flew across the room and landed on the side of his changing table!

I had another Lucy moment within days of this one. My mom was out of town speaking at a women's church retreat. I laugh and say I was filling in for her while she was gone, because just a day or two later, I was in the grocery store with my husband and my son when the next one happened:

We were at the deli ordering some food for dinner. My husband ordered his and I turned to the deli girl to order mine. Well, when I received my container of goodies, I turned back around and stuck it down in the shoppinng cart. Only it wasn't our cart!! I looked up at the strange man who was attached to the cart I had just put my food in and I exclaimed, "You're not my husband!" The deli girl was laughing and the polite stranger smiled obligingly. I looked down the counter a ways where my husband had wandered. I am sure the strange man was thinking "No, I'm not your husband, thank God! I would be married to Lucille Ball"....

Talk about embarrassing!

**

No comments: