Saturday, August 16, 2008

Talking Toys

Our son got a really neat puzzle for his birthday. It teaches shapes, but the funny thing about it is it talks. Whenever you put a shape in its place, it says what the shape is. For instance, when you put the square in its place, it says, in a male's voice "square!"

The corresponding part has a light sensor in it so that is how it knows the shape is in there. Well, you know how toddlers' puzzle pieces somehow don't always stay in their places. So at night, when we turn the lights off to go to bed, the puzzle's light sensors go off and it randomly starts voicing the shapes.

I turn the light off to go upstairs. I'm all alone because my husband has gone to bed earlier. All of the sudden, I hear this man's voice say, "Oval!" or "Pentagon!"

Aaahhhh! Who was that?! For a split second, my brain registers a strange man's voice and I think, "Who's in my house?!"

Then I realize it is just that blasted talking puzzle again.

Danny takes it one step further. On the weekends, when we stay up later, he goes to turn off the lights, he hears the puzzle spouting off its arrogant knowledge of geometry, we jump, remember where the voice is coming from, then my husband proceeds to turn the light on and off repeatedly, experimenting to see which shape the the puzzle man will foist upon us.

"Trapezoid!" "Octagon!" "Circle!"

Enough already! My husband snickers, watching to see my reaction. His shoulders bounce up and down with mirth.

"I'm gonna have nightmares about the shapes man", I warn.

Our son may never have a memory of the puzzle man. It will probably loose all its pieces in a couch or toybox somewhere or get sold at a garage sale one day. But my husband and I will never forget that obnoxious puzzle guy!!

:)

No comments: