Thursday, August 7, 2008

The Best News EVER!

Pssst. Hey you. Yeah, you.

Hi.

I wanna talk to you today about something very important. Whether you have been checking in on my blogs every now and then, or if this is the first time you are taking a peek, it is no accident that you are reading this particular entry right now.

And it is no accident that I am wanting to talk to you right now about something which, as an already sleep deprived parent of a 1 year old energetic, teething baby, I am sacrificing much-needed and much desired sleep right now. But you see, what I want to talk to you about is so urgent. It is of the utmost importance. It might be the most important communication you and I ever have together.

Time goes by so fast and in this day and age where everything is variable and nothing seems certain anymore... there is one thing that is certain. And I hate to break it to you....but....

You are going to die. That's right. You. You don't know when and you don't know how. But you will. And of this I am certain.

Now, I want to dispell a popular myth right here and now about death. Because, you see, most people in our society believe that once a person dies, you go to Heaven. That's it. End of story. Everyone knows that we all go to Heaven when we die. Remember that movie from a few years back that seemed to infer that all people go to Heaven? It was called All Dogs Go To Heaven. So do all people...right?

I hate to break it to you, but that is not true. Most people know more about the latest tabloid headlines than they do about what is written in the Bible. And the Bible is God's very word. A love letter written by Him to us over several thousands of years through different peopl, but all saying the same thing. But most people don't know what it says. In fact, most people in the United States can name 10 of just about anything, but they can't name even 3 of the 10 Commandments. Beers...you can probably name 10 brands. Sodas...you can probably list at least 10. Fast food restaurants...candy bars...horror movies...well, you get the picture.

The point I am making is that if God, who is holy and who is in charge of letting people into Heaven, as the Bible says He is, has a list of 10 requiremenets in order to get into Heaven (if we were just to go by His 10 listed in the Bible), and most people can't even name a few of them...what does that say about their chances?

But now let's just assume that you DO know the 10 Commandments and that you even thought that you kept them all. If this were God's only requirement to go to Heaven after you die, would you make it?

Let's see....thou shalt not lie.

?

Ever told a lie? Even a little one.. a so-called "white-lie"...EVER? You just broke one of the requirements to get into Heaven. The Bible says all liars will have their part in the lake of fire.

But I'm not THAT bad, you might be thinking...like....I've never killed anyone. Oh! Thou shalt not kill. The Bible says that anyone who hates his brother in his heart has committed murder. Sorry. God does not let murderers into His perfect Heaven.

How about adultery? You might be thinking...I have never cheated on my spouse. Oh..but have you ever looked at someone with lust in your mind? Jesus said whoever even looks at a woman with lust has already committed adultery with her in his heart (or him...depending). The Bible says that all adulterers are sentenced to an eternity in a place the Bible calls Sheol...the pit. Outer darkness forever. It's known in our language as hell. You see, God did not create this place for man. It was prepared for the devil and his fallen angels. When man sinned in the Garden of Eden, separating himself forever from a loving God, he chose his eternal destination. All people have inherited this sin from Adam. And the Bible says "For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God" Romans 3:23.

The Bible also says, "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord" (Romans 6:23).

So you see, BEFORE man ever sinned...God had a remedy. He sent His only son, a Jewish rabbi (teacher) named Yeshua, or Jesus of Nazareth, to die a horrible death sentence on an execution stake. This was to be the substitution, or the payment for your sin. For my sin.

God is a good and righteous judge who demands justice. He couldn't just let the criminal go free. That would not be justice. No, Someone had to pay the payment for your crimes to get your death sentence commuted. All throughout the Old Testament and Israel's history, God demanded a BLOOD sacrifice for sin. The Passover Lamb in Exodus. The sacrifice altar in both the tabernacles and the temple. All were pointing to One true and final sacrifice....all were foreshadowing and making a picture of the Lamb of God who was to come- Jesus. God became man in the flesh. He was born of a virgin birth. Jesus was fully God and fully man. That is why he qualified and why He can so closely identify with everything you and I have ever been through. He even paid the price for our physical and emotional healing. He died, paying the required punishment. Then He rose from the dead on the third day. He ascended to Heaven where He sits at the right hand of God. And He is coming again one day. One day soon.

What a provision! You might be thinking..ok. Jesus took my place. Now what??

Just believe in Him. Believe in the Son of God. Call on His name. Thank God for His sacrifice and receive by faith the payment He made for you. All faith is is trusting. Then allow Him to take control of your life and give you a new destiny. Study His words and follow Him. Turn from your sin...YOUR own way of doing things and thinking things and allow Him to live His life through you. Find other people who have done the same. Tell people what He has done for you and for them. And talk to God. All the time. I talk to God in my car, the shower, bowing my head over food. I want more of Him in my life. He is the only reason for living. He is the giver of all good things.

And those who put their hope in Him will not be disappointed.

But I warn you- don't think you can just passively attain a head knowledge of God. Jesus said unless a man be born again He will not inherit Heaven. His extreme sacrifice demands an extreme response from you. Don't put it off. Don't delay. If you believe my words, Do it RIGHT NOW.

If you would, allow me to guide you in a prayer to get you started on your new life and destiny....pray this with me sitting right there at your computer.

Father God, I have heard what Jesus (Yeshua) has done for me. I believe it. I believe Jesus you died for me and I thank you. I turn from my way of doing life and I turn toward yours. Take control of my heart and life. Come live your life through me. I accept your payment on the cross as a substitution for my sins. Cleanse me of everything that is not of you. Empower me with the Holy Spirit to assure me that I have inherited Heaven when I die and to help me live for you. Not because I am good. But because Jesus fulfilled what was required on that cross. He is MY Passover Lamb of God. Wash away my sins to be remembered no more. Help me to grow in the understanding and living out of your word. Help me to proclaim your goodness and your good news to everyone you lead me to. I pray this in Jesus' (Yeshua's) Name. Amen.

Now read your Bible and do what it says to do. Congratulations. Welcome to the Kingdom of God.

With love in Messiah,
Vesteen

No comments: