Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Things Are Tough All Over

We just got our computer back from the repair shop. It had a problem with the sound. What exactly, I don't know. All's I know is my little stress reliever and my window to the outside world was not available to me for a few days and I felt lost without it. How funny the technologies and creature comforts in our lives start to hold such an important place. The flesh does like its pamperings. And now chasing Benjamin around most the day, I really relied on it to relieve stress and to use my brain for awhile to read, write, browse, etc. at night after he goes to bed. Without the computer, I was on like a little mini- computer fast! I had to rely more on the Lord to help me with my frustrations and to connect with other people. It was a small challenge. It also got me thinking and wondering what I would do if I didn't have access to a computer again. Ever. With times being what they are and what they will be in the (near) future, it's not so far-fetched. Many people are having to cut back on luxury expenses because of the rise in gas prices and the job market becoming increasingly less predictable.

In our family, we try not to react out of fear to the state of the world, but we still try to be prudent and wise and plan to provide for our family in dire circumstances. The book of proverbs points out the wisdom of the ant. How he stores his food for the winter. Each time I go to the grocery store, I pick out a canned good I think we would like if times were tough, or if there was an outbreak or natural disaster of some sort and supplies were limited. That way, I don't go all crazy on emergency food supplies, and I stay within grocery budget.

And oh, yeah... I am making a point to not spend as much money. That's a hard one. Things are tough all over. Glad I serve a God who is more than enough.

No comments: