Thursday, June 5, 2008

John Adams

For the past several nights now, HBO has brought back their series "John Adams" based on the work of historian David MCollough and produced by Tom Hanks. It ran about a month and a half ago, with 5 or 6 eposodes in all, each one depicting hallmarks in the founding father's life, protrayed exquisitely by Paul Giamatti.

I know it seems uncanny, but the premiere and the encore of this series has coincided with some developmental milestones in my son's life and at the end of a long, challenging day as a hands-on mother, I relish my time with the founding father and his wife Abigail.

The baby's eyes close heavily for the last time and I sneak down to the kitchen, get a piece of my sugarless chocolate candy bar and a glass of organic fat-free milk, and settle my weary self in front of the tube for an hour and 15 minutes or so and see the drama unfold of our infant nation and the men (and woman) who gave of their lives for the dream of establishing freedom for their children and their children's children...in other words, for you and me.

The acting is superior, the suspense captivating, and the dialogue profound. Laura Linney, who plays Abigail Adams, the strong, rational, and yet emotional woman is the backbone of her husband and portrays this heroine with compassion and realism unmatched by any other leading lady on tv today. I gain strength from her composure and comfort from her weaknesses. She knows how to die daily. I see these characters go through unimaginable trials when the everyday freedoms and creature comforts we enjoy in the 21st century were unheard of.

Perhaps I can deal with one more poopie diaper!

No comments: