Thursday, September 11, 2008

Food for Thought...er...on second thought....

Who would've known that after either a really bad lingering stomach flu or mild case of food poisoning (we're still not sure which it was- at one point in the ER, they were testing me for appendicitis) all I needed was a good belly laugh to feel better?

I'm back and my stomach hurts from laughing so hard at the aol food feature "Recipes from Out of Print Cookbooks". These recipes are from the early 1900's and a person today wouldn't be caught DEAD entertaining with these dishes..unless she (or he) didn't want any friends or was trying to get their friends dead! I laughed out loud trying not to wake the baby as I read recipe names such as:

Jellied Bouillon with Frankfurters
Corned Tongue in aspic
Squirrel Casserole (Squirrel flambe..no joke...you set it on fire!!)
Brain Loaf
Marinated Chicken Entrails with Cucumbers
Jellied Veal Salad
Ham Mousse

Can you imagine..your husband's boss comes over for dinner and you bring in the main dish to thick anticipation- and it's squirrel. But you REALLY wanna wow him and get your husband that promotion- so you set the squirrel on fire! Uh, I'd be looking for a pink slip soon.

This is one of the best food feature stories aol has ever done. And you would think that such names and recipes would turn my already-weakened stomach. They would...if they weren't so stinkin funny!

Ahhhhh....laughter is good medicine.

*

No comments: